The Housing Act of 1949 (Title V of P.L. 81-171) laid the groundwork for agencies such as the Norwalk Redevelopment Agency. Following the Housing Act, the Agency was established in 1950 under Chapter 130 of the Connecticut General Statutes by resolution of the Common Council, which authorized it to create redevelopment plans and take the necessary steps to implement these plans in accordance with local zoning provisions.
The Norwalk Redevelopment Agency is a quasi-governmental organization governed by a Board of Commissioners. The Agency’s five commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Common Council. These Commissioners elect a Chairman, a Vice Chairman, a Secretary, and a Treasurer.
Redevelopment plans and implementation efforts are reviewed and approved by the citizen-elected Common Council. At the request of the Common Council, the Norwalk Redevelopment Agency serves as staff coordinating the monthly meetings of its Planning Committee.
The Norwalk Redevelopment Agency has two subsidiary organizations: